Ι.MAVRAKIS & PARTNERS S.A.
STRUCTURAL DESIGN OFFICE 

Vila Kazouli was built in 1902 as residence of businessman N. Kazoulis, on 47,000.00m2 land area in Kifisia Athens. In 1940 the building was occupied by German troops and after World War II it was used as a hospital, until 1953. In 2001, its ownership was transferred to Ministry of Infrastructure and was converted to the Center of Environmental and Sustainable Development.

After serving as a hospital, the building was abandoned and suffered extensive damage. Large parts of the roof, masonry and mezzanine floors collapsed. Foundations suffered excessive settlement, compromising overall stability of the structure.

During the structural apraisal, the structural system was analyzed according to current standards in order to verify its load bearing capacity. During the retrofitting, masonry walls and foundation were reinforced using steel anchors and cement-resin grouting. Mezzanine floors and the roof were completely redesigned, using most of the existing materials, in order to preserve the character of the building.

Our role: Structural apraisal & retrofitting